27 Feb 2012

film | Sleeping Beauty, Leigh



Just watched Sleeping Beauty by director Julia Leigh. Despite the title, it isn't actually based on the fairytale or even similar to the Disney animated film. In fact I wouldn't say it's appropriate to show to your little sister at all. The stunning Emily Browning (some of you may recognize her as Violet from A Series of Unfortunate Events) stars as Lucy, a struggling university student who takes up a rather unusual part-time job to pay her way out of her troubles. 

The entire time I watched this film I felt uneasy but intrigued. It deals with some pretty uncomfortable issues yet seems to tackle them in a delicate and somehow pretty manner. I had been meaning to watch this for awhile and did enjoy it visually. This is why I took a few extra moments to show you guys some nice screen shots from the film. Hope these don't spoil anything for you, although I'm not too sure how they could... 

I don't know if I would necessarily watch it again but I do feel that it was time well spent. 

6.5/10













No comments:

Post a Comment